India has been gifted with natural medicinal herbs that offer immense health and healing benefits. One such medicinal herb is giloy. Giloy, scientifically known as Tinospora Cordifolia, is known as the queen of herbs for its remedial properties that have been utilised for centuries. The word ‘giloy’ literally means ‘amrita’, which means the root of immortality.
The entire giloy plant can be used for its exceptional health benefits. However, the stem of giloy is considered to be the most beneficial as it is high in nutritional content and alkaloids. Many experts also think that the roots of giloy plant offer extraordinary health advantages.
Read the entire blog to discover all about the health benefits of giloy and explore the medicinal healing properties of this remedial herb!
What is Giloy?
Giloy is an essential herb native to India, that is also found in China and tropical regions of Africa and Australia. It belongs to the botanical family of Menispermaceae. Giloy is known by the names ‘guduchi’, ‘giloe’, and ‘amrita’. Moreover, it is also called ‘heart-leaved moonseed’ because of its heart-shaped leaves and red fruit. Since ancient times, people have been using giloy to treat a wide range of ailments like fever, diabetes, infections, arthritis, as well as to support general wellness.
Nutritional Value and Active Compounds of Giloy
Before we dive into the properties and benefits of giloy, it is important to know its nutritional value and active compounds.
- Nutritional Value of Giloy Based on its Scientific Composition
- Fat: 3.12%
- Protein: 4.13%
- Ash: 12.01%
- Fibre: 16.19%
- Moisture: 17.69%
- Acid Detergent Fibre (the least digestible plant component like Cellulose): 34.65%
- Neutral Detergent Fibre (structural components of the plant): 37.90%
- Active Compounds of Giloy
- Alkaloids (including berberine and choline): It is a powerful compound that gives a bitter taste to certain plants. Plant alkaloids are used as a model to make several prescription medicines. They have been used to cure illnesses since ancient times.
- Terpenoids: They contribute to the taste, colour, and fragrance of the plant. Lab tests show that terpenoids have antiviral, antimicrobial, antidiabetic, and anticancer properties.
- Steroids (beta-sitosterol): These are compounds with a similar chemical structure to cholesterol. Plant steroid compounds offer benefits in cardiovascular health, skin health, and wound healing.
- Lignans (including polysaccharides): These compounds prevent the growth of viruses, fungi, and other microbes. Research has shown that they can slow down the growth of and even kill certain types of cancer cells.
Medicinal Properties of Giloy
Consuming giloy may help enhance overall immunity and wellbeing. Here are some of the medicinal properties of giloy that helps maintain optimal health:
- It may have an anti-toxic effect that helps remove toxins.
- It may act as an antioxidant.
- It may have an anti-inflammatory effect that reduces swelling.
- It may act as an anticoagulant agent that stops blood clots.
- It may have an immunity-boosting quality.
- It may act as a wound healer.
- It may have antimicrobial properties.
- It may have antiviral properties.
- It may have blood glucose reducing properties.
- It may act as an anti-stressor.
Health Benefits of Giloy
- Giloy to control blood sugar levels
One of the most significant health benefits of giloy is that it reduces blood sugar levels and makes the cells insulin-resistant. Its alkaloid compound berberine has been used as a traditional herbal remedy to reduce blood sugar, blood pressure, and LDL (bad) cholesterol. Giloy also helps with diabetes complications like kidney issues and ulcers. Satvam Nutrition’s giloy-rich natural diabetes care supplements help manage blood sugar levels naturally.
- Giloy to boost immune system
Rich in antioxidants, giloy helps boost the immune system and offers vitality. It releases toxins from the body to detoxify the skin, liver, and other organs. One of the other significant benefits of giloy is that it helps prevent allergies by protecting from bacteria and other pathogens. A study has found that giloy helped reduce the symptoms of allergy, runny nose, and stuffy nose. Try Satvam Nutrition’s natural immunity booster supplement that is made with giloy and other potent plant-based ingredients for overall immunity support.
- Giloy to improve skin health
Since giloy is loaded with antioxidants, it prevents oxidative stress and protects the cells from damage. It can also improve blood circulation and slow down the ageing process to give a natural and youthful radiance to the skin. Being rich in flavonoids, giloy boosts collagen production and helps manage skin allergies, reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and acne.
- Giloy to improve respiratory health
One of the many properties of giloy is its anti-inflammatory effect. Asthma is the result of inflamed trachea, leading to breathing problems. Studies have shown that one of the health benefits of giloy is to ease inflammation and breathe more comfortably.
- Giloy to reduce stress and anxiety
Giloy is an exceptional remedy to reduce anxiety and mental stress. It possesses calming properties that calms down the mind and body to feel relaxed and destressed. One of the other major health benefits of giloy includes its power to enhance cognitive functioning and memory.
- Giloy to reduce joint pain
Giloy contains anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory properties which helps reduce joint pain, and joint-related diseases like arthritis and gout. It decreases the synthesis of pro-inflammatory cytokines and improves the mineralization of bone matrix. Giloy also contains anti-osteoporotic properties that stimulate the growth of osteoblasts to repair damaged bone tissues. Satvam Nutrition’s natural joint care supplement is made with herbal ingredients (including giloy) to offer bone and joint health.
Other Health Benefits of Giloy
- Cures chronic, recurrent fevers
- Offers recovery in dengue fever and hay fever
- Boosts digestive health by eliminating gut issues
- Protects the heart and maintains heart health
Explore the Healing Powers of Giloy for Optimum Health
Ancient Indian herbs have been used for several medicinal and healing purposes for centuries now. Giloy is an ancient remedial herb that offers various health benefits and cures a number of ailments. Known as the queen of herbs, giloy is helpful in controlling blood sugar levels, boosting immunity, improving digestion and respiratory health, as well as reducing anxiety and stress.
It is not possible to consume this remedial herb on a daily basis as it is not included anywhere in our daily diet. One of the best ways to gain the benefits of giloy to regulate your health conditions is to take natural health supplements that consist of giloy.
Satvam Nutrition offers a wide range of plant-based, vegan, and chemical free health supplements that are made with all natural ingredients. You can explore the entire range of products based on your concerns here.